I never told you about my first date. You probably thought that came much later for me. But no. It was Homecoming. I was a junior. A year older than her.
Oh I had wanted her for the longest time. I was fascinated by her. She was everything that I was not.
She was so sweet but had that reputation for being a little dirty. Many of the boys had stories about her. I hoped they were true. She seemed like someone very fun to be around.
And I... I was a loner. Not by choice but by circumstance. I lived in a rural area. I had odd, but nice parents. Odd but polite siblings much older than me. I was able to grow in a quiet studious environment. To think. To dream.
But I was lonely and strange. My freedom to think had led me down odd corridors and I was so young and so wrong about so many things.
She was a little crazy about that dance. It is normal at that age. She was so nervous that she didn't eat all week. She was excited but so scared. Her mother fed all of this making the event to seem so big, so important. When I arrived to pick her up her mother scared me a little by the advice she gave me. I can't recall just the words she used but it was clear I was to be careful but definitely to sweep her romantically into something intense and passionate. She wanted her daughter to experience something that she remembered experiencing, or wanting to experience, I am not sure. She thought I was the guy to do it. I had that look. A nice guy, a smart guy, but who would deliver in that line.
Frankly I liked it. But my instincts were all wrong. I thought the important thing to do was to defuse a lot of the pressure. So that we could have fun and just be natural. Oh if only I had gone the other way. If only I had taken that night as deadly seriously as she had.
I picked her up early in my parents car. Drove to the city and had dinner. It was hours before the dance. A sign that I didn't know what I was doing. We drove back. Arrived in town hours before the dance.
It was a moonlit night. Snow had fallen. Beautiful night. Perfect for romance. Perfect for passion.
She was freaking out. Not in an unattractive way. In a cute and sexy way. She wanted it. The whirlwind romance. She thought I had planned the moment and was about to take us quickly, decisively to our destiny.
But whether from stupidity, from cowardice, or just from being a young little mutant at that age... I was determined to release the tension and turn it into a light comedy. Oh she was beautiful. Oh she was sexy. The dead surely were rising from graves all over town to come to her side as I started to play the clown. I liked her. I wanted to be with her. But it was too serious for me.
Oh how cruel I was without knowing it. Stupid gags. Juvenile behavior. Designed to make her feel at ease. But pumped by ego and perhaps some frustration at being put "on the spot" by that mother, by finding myself expected to deliver something and rebelling in a ch1ldish manner, I was as awful as you can imagine. I pretended to surprise her, and then clicked on the bright lights of the car to blind her. I played tricks with the car radio. I leaned in to kiss her and then instead went eskimo kiss. Pushing flat our noses and making one big cyclops eye. The poor girl was trapped with this clown who was making a mockery of this special night. Although it really was not intentional. I was a k1d. She was on her way to being a woman.
We went to the dance. She was a good sport and had fun though keeping a little distant from me. When I dropped her off, very early by her mother's standards, she virtually ran into the house. This surprised me. It was the first that I began to sense that all was not well.
The old b1tch appeared at the door and gave me the evil eye. She raised her hand up in a twisted fork and muttered some words in some language I could not understand, my guess is Sicillian, but I really don't know. She then cackled in an evil way that did not bode well and went back in to her poor daughter.
And from that day onwards I have been cursed. You can plainly see how. I haven't had a moment's peace with any woman. Never had a relationship that worked. No lie I tell is believed. No promise I make is trusted. I strongly suspect that every meal in every restaurant I've had has been spat in by them or worse.
And I am still hopelessly attracted to them. Can't be complete without them. Though they are perpetually too serious and too dramatic for me.
OMG! There is one coming up the stairs right now! EEEARRRRRRRRGGGGJHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!
Quote